Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Newspaper cinder block

On the first day of Wash, we where assigned the task to use a stack of news paper and elmers glue to support a cinder block. Immediately i thought of triangles and things that are strong that already support weight. I really wanted to create something that is very practical because i knew that the cinder block is very very heavy. I was thinking of anything that could be able to support not just  a cinder block but something even heavy like a person. I thought of a stool with three legs and I drew it out in my sketchbook. I also knew that if i didn't roll up enough news paper then the cinderblock would crush my stack of news papers. When i was building it i started with the seat because i knew that it had 2 b a good shaped triangle with less connections because connections would be weak. After i got the seat done, I knew that for height i wanted 2 roll newspapers horizontally so that i could get more height after i did i put the rolls of newspaper into the 3 edges of the triangles. In the end the stools legs where still giving out but i glued news papper around the legs so that it would be tight and it would be hard for the legs to give out. In the end the newspaper stool held because it worked correctly like i wanted it to. I was striving really hard to show that my structure can actually look like something we use everyday and be made of just newspaper and glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment